Landlord and Tenant Board

Many offices across Ontario. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing operates the Landlord and Tenant Board that regulates all residential Landlord/Tenant matters in Ontario. You cannot contract outside the law. You must use Tribunal forms for most notices. You can only get an eviction order through the Board  and you must sue an existing tenant for damages or rent arrears through the Tribunal.  All the forms for rent increases, evictions, and applications to the tribunal can be  downloaded for free off their web site. They change so often you should always download the current copy of the form you want to use (e.g. N5, N1, N4, etc.). Forms are downloaded in a pdf format and you require a free copy of Acrobat Reader to print them. You can call 1-888-332-3234 to order printed copies or use the link above. You can pick up individual copies of the forms and general information at any of their many offices across the province. You can also fax forms back and forth to them. I suggest that you purchase your own copies of the Act, Regulations, Interpretive Guidelines and Rules. You can now use credit cards to pay for their publications and application fees. They have gone very public with their information. Your tenants can just as easily learn their rights.

Federation of Rental-Housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO)

20 Upjohn Road, Suite 105 Toronto, On. M3B 2V9 (416) 385-1100, 1-877-688-1960
This is the Provincial landlord’s organization. They do a lot of research and have launched several high profile and very expensive legal challenges to different pieces of legislation. They also worked with the government in drafting other legislation. They operate with the highest ethical and academic standards. They also provide their members with substantial discounts on natural gas purchases across Ontario.

Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations (CFAA)

Suite 640 – 1600 Carling Avenue, Ottawa ON  K1Z 1G3 (613) 235-0101 This is the Federal landlords association. CFAA deals with Federal issues on our behalf.

Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation

CMHC provides many different services for the housing industry. Much of their information is free; some publications are sold to cover costs. You can reach them at 1-800-668-2642 or reach their web site above. For landlords they do semi-annual surveys of the rental housing market across the country to establish the vacancy rates for different types and sizes of accommodation and price ranges for them. They do market projections as well.

 Landlord Self Help

609, 477 Richmond St. West, Toronto, ON. N5V 3E7 (416) 504-5190
This is a non-profit group dedicated to helping the small landlords of Ontario since 1975. It is supported by grants from the Ontario Legal Aid Plan and the City of Toronto. They charge a very modest membership fee of $5.00. This site is very worthwhile for the Mom & Pop landlords to check out.


Canadian-American Consumer Credit Reports in English and French from Equifax and TransUnion
Comprehensive Rental History from more than 4.5 million tenancy records.
Business Commercial Reports, CPIC Criminal Record Checks, Bankruptcy prediction …. and more
Technology in the housing industry to engage new tenants on first contact who are on-the-go, we have mobile screening for Smart phones, Tablets, etc., To find out more about RentCheck click here.
Contact or call 1-800-365-1987 ext 221.

Ten Check/Gatemater

They have a national database of tenant histories that is accessible 24/7 instantly by phone, fax and internet. Membership fees vary by size of rental operation.


Municipal Property Assessment Corporation.  Gives you information about your tax assessment and allows you to get assessments for your own or similar properties.

Attorney General’s

Site News releases, What’s new, Going to Court, How to make small claims court work for you, etc.

Hamilton Chamber of Commerce

Information of the Hamilton area.

Hamilton Hydro

How to save hydro and an interesting calculator that lets you know the hydro costs for operating various appliances

Mr. Landlord Newsletter

This is a U.S. site but is loaded with free generic information. They also have a free Newsletter Club (by email)

 Other Associations:

    • Almonte Mississippi Mills Landlords Association C/o Reg Gamble, Almonte, ON. K0A 1A0
    • Brantford Brant County Landlords Association 248 Mt. Pleasant St. Brantford, ON. N3T 1V1 (519) 756-4174 Email:
    • Kitchener-Waterloo Waterloo Regional Apartment Management Association P.O. Box 29022, Frederick Plaza PO Kitchener, ON. N2H 6S6  (519) 748-0703
    • Midland Simcoe County Landlord Association P. O. Box 2 212 King St., Suite 4, Midland, ON. L4R 4K6
    • Multi-Residential Property Owners of Niagara 15 Woodside Square Fonthill, ON. L0S 1E4 (905) 892-6830
    • Ottawa Ottawa Regional Landlords Association P.O. Box 3210, Station D, Ottawa, ON. K1P 6H7 (613) 238-1850
    • Eastern Ontario Landlords Association P.O. Box 1342, Station B, Ottawa, ON. K1P 5R4
    • Peterborough & District Landlords Association c/o Babcock & Robinson Suite 205 – 261 George St. North Peterborough, ON. K9J 3G9
    • Sarnia Property Management Association P.O. Box 811, Sarnia, ON. N7Y 7J9
  • Greater Toronto Apartment Association 20 Upjohn Rd., Suite 105 Toronto, ON. M3B 2V9 961-3698